Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Yellow daisies

Yellow daisies were not my first choice.

As always happens when spring comes, I experienced the urge get a new plant for my garden, even if every nook and corner seems pretty well covered with vegetation.

This spring I settled for daisies. Not just any daisies. I am methodical when it comes to selecting plants for my garden. I studied various gardening magazines and selected a particular daisy with a nice rounded growth and small flowers that seems to range (the picture was rather small) from white to pink. I carefully copied its Latin name to a wider list of plant I had compiled and set off for the closest nursery.

Alas, it turned out that the name I transcribed with such care was a generic name for all daisies: tall growing and low growing, annual and perennial, blue, white, yellow or whatever other colour daisies come in.

The nursery assistant showed me every kind of daisy they had in stock. Not one of them resembled my daisy.
Unable to leave empty handed, I did what I promised myself last year (or was it the year before last?) that I will never do again. I abandoned my original plan and got two daisies with yellow flowers instead.

I was rather satisfied with the two daisies when I planted them out into the ground. True, their habit of growth is rather less than pleasing at the moment, but I look forward to them bushing out into a nice roundest shape (as the nursery assistant said they would).

No comments:

Post a Comment